Tuesday, June 17, 2008

sick of those butts

I haven' written on this blog in a long time because I've been spending all my spare time reading. I set a goal for myself that I could complete reading all of Steven King's published works this summer. I counted them up and there's 57 (not counting books that have been re-released in different form). So far I have read 39 of them. I may have actually read more than that, but I don't count the ones I don't remember. I read my first SK book (Carrie) in the fifth grade. and to be honest I've lost quite a few brain cells since then.
But I had to take time to vent a little frustration. I am soooooo sick of seeing cigarette butts on the ground out side the front door of Coastal Ga. Community College! As you drive into the parking lot, there are FOUR signs letting people know that this is a smoke-free campus. Which to me means, put out your cigarette in the car ashtray and don't light up again until you get back in the car to leave.
Maybe they think they are being ironic. I think not! I can understand that people have nicotine addictions and have to smoke. But there is no addiction, or compulsion or whatever, that makes people think the ground is their own personal ashtray. That is just plain old nastiness!
But by and large nobody cares. Throwing ciggy-butts on the ground has become acceptable. As if it's just a fact of life. As sure as day follows night, there will be ciggy-butts on the ground.
I take offense, not to the smoking itself--although I don't like it much--but to the idea of people just throwing stuff on the ground, as though it didn't really matter.
Many of the offenders (at least at CGCC) are the same people who spend their days spouting about "going green' and saving the planet. Well, excuse the hell outta me, but aren't ciggy-butts NON-biodegradable? Do they think the Cigarette Fairy comes and picks them up?
Throwing ciggy-butts on the ground is not just trashy, it's disgusting and gross.
So I propose that the next time we see a pile of butts on the ground outside the door of CGCC or any public establishment, we all just drop our drawers and take a big dump right along side of it. If smokers are going to leave their shit on the ground why shouldn't everybody?

No comments: